A medical examiner has revealed that Jordan Neely’s death has been confirmed as a homicide, as reported by ABC7 New York. Neely was a 30-year-old Black man killed by a chokehold from another passenger man while on a New York City subway earlier this week.
RELATED: 24-Year-Old NYC Subway Passenger Strangles Homeless Man To Death, No Charges Yet Filed
Jordan Neely’s Death Ruled A Homicide By Medical Examiner
Now activists are calling for charges to be filed against the man that placed him in a chokehold. A protest is reportedly planned outside the Manhattan District Attorney’s Office on Thursday.
The New York Times reports that the District Attorney’s spokesman said in a statement:
“As part of our rigorous ongoing investigation, we will review the Medical Examiner’s report, assess all available video and photo footage, identify and interview as many witnesses as possible, and obtain additional medical records. This investigation is being handled by senior, experienced prosecutors, and we will provide an update when there is additional public information to share.”
Despite being ruled a homicide by the medical examiner, that does not necessarily mean his case will be prosecuted as a homicide. This action will remain determined by the Manhattan DA’s office, as reported by ABC7 New York.
24-Year-Old Suspect Questioned But Released Without Any Charges
The man who choked Neely was taken into custody before being released later on without any charges, per the New York Post.
According to ABC7 New York, the choking suspect explained that his actions were to protect fellow subway passengers who “felt scared and threatened” by Neely.
Furthermore, the outlet reports that fellow commuters on the train are corroborating his story. Additionally, the fellow passengers reportedly informed authorities that as the man restrained Neely, he instructed them to call 911.
More Details About The Choking Death Of Jordan Neely
A circulating video showed the passenger strangling Neely to death at a Manhattan subway station earlier this week, The Shade Room reported.
Freelance journalist Juan Alberto Vazquez said in Spanish during an interview Tuesday that Neely — described online as a 30-year-old Michael Jackson impersonator — “started screaming in an aggressive manner.”
According to Vazquez, Neely remarked that he “had no food, no drink, was tired and didn’t care if he goes to jail.”
“He starts to make a speech,” Vazquez said. “He started screaming in an aggressive manner,” Vazquez told The Post. “He said he had no food, he had no drink, that he was tired and doesn’t care if he goes to jail. He started screaming all these things, took off his jacket, a black jacket that he had, and threw it on the ground.”
This was Jordan Neely, a hungry New Yorker choked to death by a grinning Marine who is being celebrated as a hero by NYPD and press. His offense? “Aggressive speech”, throwing his jacket on the ground and asking for food and water. pic.twitter.com/F3rRj30rQL
— Rafael Shimunov (@rafaelshimunov) May 3, 2023
The suspect, who sources say is a Marine veteran, then moved behind Neely before wrestling him to the ground in a stranglehold.
Vazquez says the man kept Neely in the choke for upwards of 15 minutes, the Post reports.
Neely, who has a history of mental health issues and was living on the streets at the time of the incident, quickly lost consciousness while in the chokehold.
The hold was so tight that EMS workers could not revive him, according to police and law enforcement sources.
According to ABC7 New York, Neely was rushed to Lenox Hill Hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
NYC: A homeless black man Jordan Neely,30. Was screaming that he was hungry,had no food,threw his jacket down on the train. The blonde guy decided to choke him for 15 mins-for no reason,EMS could not revive Neely. No charges have been filed. This is MURDER . pic.twitter.com/hWA9Kri7Fl
— نصر الله (@DrNasrAzUllah) May 3, 2023
According to ABC7 New York, Jordan Neely had a criminal background of 44 prior arrests. However, he also had a documented history of mental health struggles.
Adolfo Abreu, a man with Vocal NY, explained his sentiments regarding Neely’s passing.
“Our government, our society, should actually provide those wraparound services instead of leaving someone languishing out there and that’s a failure on all of us, and our elected leaders.”
Additionally, Mayor Eric Adams shared his thoughts on the “tragic” matter and investigation into Neely’s death, as reported by The New York Times.
“…there’s a lot we don’t know about what happened here. However, we do know that there were serious mental health issues in play here, which is why our administration has made record investments in providing care to those who need it and getting people off the streets and the subways, and out of dangerous situations.”
— Ben Max (@TweetBenMax) May 3, 2023