International

‘Total mess’: Liz Truss ‘phone hack by Russia’ to be investigated, Tory MPs say

Conservative MPs have joined calls for an investigation into a bomb threat that Liz Truss’ phone had been hacked by Russian spies after the government was accused of not taking national security seriously enough.

Cabinet Secretary Michael Gove declined to deny reports that the former prime minister’s personal phone had been hacked when she was foreign minister, but insisted the government had “very robust protocols”.

A leading security expert said: UKTN that it was time for a judicial inquiry into the security of government communications – describing personal phone use as a “total mess”.

Labor Liberals have called on the government to urgently investigate the security scandal and provide answers as to why a “news blackout” was reportedly imposed by then Prime Minister Boris Johnson and Cabinet Secretary Simon Case.

Senior Tories said Parliament’s Intelligence and Security Committee (ISC) should launch an investigation. Tobias Ellwood, chairman of the House of Commons Defense Selection Committee, told Sky News: “It’s something for the sister committee … I think I need to look into it further.”

Senior Tory MP Stephen Hammond also suggested the ISC should investigate the “incredibly concerning” reports of a security breach. “There are some things I want to know,” he told LBC.

The former Tory minister added: “It is incredibly disturbing at a time when we are at war that there is now the suggestion… most disturbing of all, that the Secretary of State’s phone has been hacked by our enemy. How did that happen? Why were there security breaches that would have put us all at risk?”

Hackers suspected of working for Russia allegedly gained access to sensitive information — including conversations with officials about the war in Ukraine and arms supplies — from Ms. Truss’s phone, the report said. Post on Sunday.

Messages between Ms. Truss and her future Chancellor Kwasi Kwarteng, in which the pair criticized Boris Johnson, were among a year’s messages that were compromised, leading to a potential risk of blackmail, the report claimed.

The paper also claimed details of the breach, apparently uncovered when Ms Truss ran for Tory leadership over the summer, had been “suppressed” by Mr Johnson and Mr Case.

Leading security expert Prof Antony Glees said it was “worrying” that ministers “appeared to be using private phones to conduct government business via WhatsApp and their personal email” – and called for a judicial inquiry.

“A high-ranking Supreme Court judge should look into this,” Prof. Glees . said UKTN. “I think the investigation should focus on the national security implications of what appears to be the government’s non-compliance with communications guidelines. It’s become such a total mess.”

The University of Buckingham expert added: “I’m afraid [Ms Truss] may not be the only one to have had her phone hacked. There seems to be a culture of laxity when it comes to national security. It is totally irresponsible and disturbing.”

It comes as Rishi Sunak comes under fire for his decision to reappoint Suella Braverman as Home Secretary, just six days after she was fired for a security breach after sending a sensitive document from her office. private email.

Former British Army chief Lord Dannatt said Ms Braverman’s use of email and the phone hack reported by Ms Truss indicate “poor discipline” and poor government judgment on security issues.

Lord Dannatt told Times Radio: “We’ve seen it with Suella Braverman, apparently she sent messages she shouldn’t have through a personal email, and now we’re getting it with Liz Truss.”

He added: “Frankly, this isn’t good enough, if these people aspire to higher positions, leadership positions, they have to be disciplined, they have to follow the rules, or, frankly, we’ll put other people in their place.” to make.”

He said all government business must be conducted using an encrypted handheld device, secure telephone line, or other government-secured means of communication. “Not to do is poor discipline and, frankly, reflects their judgment very badly.”

Yvette Cooper, Labour’s shadow home secretary, said Ms Braverman should offer “reassurance” about the reported phone hack, but “she can’t because she still isn’t able to answer those serious questions about her own security breaches and security breaches.” -answer errors”.

Speak with Sophy Ridge on SundayMs Cooper said the report on Ms Truss raised “serious allegations about whether a minister has used a personal phone on serious government matters” as well as “serious questions about why this information or story has now been leaked or briefed”.

Liz Truss’ Phone Was Reportedly Hacked While She Was Secretary of State

(PA wire)

Foreign Office spokesman for the Lib Dems, Layla Moran, called on Secretary of State James Cleverly to make a statement in the House of Commons on Monday about the reported hack, and to complete an initial investigation within a week.

“Was Liz Truss’ phone hacked by Russia, was there a news outage, and if so, why? If it turns out that this information was withheld from the public to protect Liz Truss’ leadership bid, it would be unforgivable,” Ms Moran said.

She told the UKTN on Sunday: “In the event that the Foreign Secretary’s phone was hacked, if the Russians had been given secrets she shared with others on her team that could put the Ukraine war effort on the ground. to derail – that is unbelievably serious.”

Hammond also said any investigation should investigate who made the decision not to share details of the reported hack. “I don’t know why the then Prime Minister and Cabinet Secretary made the decision, I assume it was they who made the decision,” said the senior Tory.

Asked about the allegations, Mr Gove told Sky News he did not know “the full details of what security breach, if any, has taken place. What I do know is that the government has very robust protocols in place. ”

He said he could not discuss national security issues because “loose lips can sink ships when it comes to these questions”. Mr Gove also said he was “more than happy” with Ms Braverman’s reappointment – saying the Prime Minister decided she “deserved a second chance”.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button