International

East Chicago teacher charged with ‘death list’ agrees not to contact St. Stanislaus School

An East Chicago teacher accused of threatening students and staff with a “death list” agreed to a no-contact order with the school during a court hearing on Friday, according to court records.

Angelica Carrasquillo, 25, is charged with harassment, a level 6 felony, and she is currently being held in the Lake County Jail on $20,000 bail, or $2,000 cash.

According to court records, two students approached administrators at St. Stanislaus Catholic School about the threats at 12:45 a.m. on Oct. 12, and Carrasquillo admitted during a conversation with school officials that she spoke of suicide, students and staff.

Carrasquillo was detained by school officials and allowed to leave after all the children were sent away. It was only then that the police were called – nearly 4 hours after school officials were notified of the situation.

“During the conversation, the teacher mentioned a specific student on her list, but did not pass it on. The principal then advised the teacher to leave and not return to school pending an investigation,” East Chicago Police Chief Joes Rivera said in the email.

When interviewed, Carrasquillo stated that if she had a car, she would be able to fit two corpses in the trunk, the affidavit states.

When she advised Carrasquillo to leave the building, Principal Angelica Foy told her it would likely lead to her resignation, the reports say.

Rivera said police received an urgent arrest warrant from the Lake County Prosecutor’s Office on Thursday and that she was taken into custody at her home in Griffith.

Last week, on October 19, a group of parents protested outside the school over what they believe is a poor response from the school and Gary Diocese to the incident.

The Diocese of Gary has issued a statement saying it is cooperating with the local authorities with the St. Stanislaus School in the investigation.

“The office of the Catholic Schools is also looking at what happened that afternoon. We are deeply saddened by this event. School safety is a top priority at our schools. Due to the ongoing police investigation, we are unable to provide further details at this time and ask the community to join us in praying for healing and resolution.”

Post-Tribune freelance reporters Carole Carlson and Michelle L. Quinn contributed to this report.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Back to top button